Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Southwestern Meatloaf

 
 
This puts a spin on meatloaf by adding a hot pepper. For this meatloaf I used the following ingredients:
 
1 pound ground beef
1 pound Italian sausage (a little spicier than regular sausage)
1 small onion (can use less or whatever amount you desire but we like onions)
3 eggs
1 cup cut up parsley (fresh, it makes a difference and its healthier for you!)
1.5 cup katsup
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of warshashire sauce (I didnt realize until later I forgot to put it in the picture.)
1 hot pepper (to add some kick, or you can add mild or sweet peppers.)
2 cups of breadcrumbs (I made mine homemade.)
salt and pepper to taste
 
 
 Cut the onion, garlic, pepper, and parsley. Saute the onions and cloves of garlic.

Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Shape into the meatloaf and add the glaze generously.
 
Glaze recipe;
1 cup katsup
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1.5 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons of honey

I baked my meatloaf on foil with holes in the foil. I placed a pan under the foil to catch any of the fat that drains off the meatloaf. Some may choose to keep this to keep the meatloaf moist but I chose to drain it. However, my meatloaf was plenty moist becasue of the katsup and liquids added to the meatloaf. The fat juice that drained off kept it healthier for my family. Bake on 350 for 60 minutes. This could take more or less time depending on your oven. If you bake you know if your oven runs hotter or cooler than other ovens.


When finished serve with mashed potatoes, bread, and asparagus! Great family meal! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment